Boy, 8, ‘died after eating dad’s crystal meth that he mistook for breakfast cereal’

Photo of Boy, 8, ‘died after eating dad’s crystal meth that he mistook for breakfast cereal’

An eight year-old boy died after eating a lump of meth he mistakenly believed was breakfast cereal, police say.

Curtis Colman III ate 180 times the amount guaranteed to kill a grown man after mistaking the crystals for the breakfast flakes at his father’s house, which did not have electricity.

After the boy fell ill on June 21, his dad Curtis Collman II called a female friend, who came to the house in Seymour, In., and urged him to dial 911, it is claimed.

But Colman II refused to do so, instead seizing the woman’s phone and even pointing a gun at her to stop her summoning help, sheriff’s deputies say.

The dad then drove Curtis to his mother’s house, with the youngster becoming ‘stiff’ in the car ride over.

Once there, he turned blue, with Collman attempting CPR – but still refusing to dial 911.

Eventually Collman II’s father Donnie called emergency services, but it was too late to save Curtis, who died soon afterwards.

Jackson County Sheriff’s Department Detective Tom Barker told WAVE 3: ‘You have an eight year old child that most likely suffered for many hours.

‘It upsets you.’

Curtis Colman II faces neglect charges after his son Curtis Colman III died after eating flakes of crystal meth he wrongly believed to be breakfast cereal (Picture: Jackson County Detention Center)

He said the case had proven particularly disturbing for his deputies, and called it ‘your worst nightmare as a parent.’

Detective Baker added: ‘Anyone that is a parent, you know, would be emotionally upset.

‘It kind of hits home if you have kids.’

Colman II has been charged with neglect leading to the death of a dependent and possession of meth.

He was further charged with pointing a firearm, theft and failure to registrer as a sex offender.

Judges are now set to decide if he can be freed on bond while awaiting trial.

view Metro
#crime news