Kronberg, Montreal Impact agree on new 1-year deal

Photo of Kronberg, Montreal Impact agree on new 1-year deal
Facebook
VKontakte
share_fav

The Montreal Impact announced Monday the club has come to terms for a new one-year contract with goalkeeper Eric Kronberg, keeping the backup shot-stopper in their ranks for the 2017 season.

"We are pleased to have come to an agreement with Eric for the 2017 season," Impact technical director Adam Braz said in a club-issued statement. "Eric has settled in nicely over the last two years and expressed his desire to remain with the club.

"He's an experienced goalkeeper and a respected player in the locker room. He will push our first two goalkeepers, Evan and Maxime, to excel throughout the next season."

Kronberg, 33, has played behind starter Evan Bush and young Canadian net-minder Maxime Crepeau since joining the club in 2015 and has been limited to just five league appearances in the last two seasons.

He had previously spent nine seasons with Sporting Kansas City, where he made 30 total appearances, including 20 appearances in 2014.

He has been so limited in his appearances that he did not make a single regular-season or post-season appearance in his first four seasons with the club, and did not play in either 2012 or 2013, either.

But, despite lacking first-team minutes, Kronberg says he is more than willing to stick around in Montreal.

"I am very excited to be back in Montreal. My family loves the city and I am proud to be a part of the Impact community," Kronberg said. "I am looking forward to working with the players and the coaching staff in the coming year."

Copyright © 2017 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

view The Score - MLS Soccer