There are only 2 people who have consistently ranked among the richest 400 Americans every year for the past 37 years
Glen Martin/The Denver Post via Getty Images
- Every year since 1982, Forbes has released a ranking of the 400 richest Americans.
- Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, and Warren Buffett have dominated the top of the list in recent years, but only two people have made the list every single year since its inception.
- Forbes confirmed to Business Insider that only two men, Philip Anschutz and William Herbert Hunt, have been on the list every year since 1982.
- Anschutz made his fortune in oil, railroads, telecom, real estate, and entertainment, while Hunt's wealth derives from the oil industry.
- In 1982, Anschutz was ranked the seventh-richest American with an estimated net worth of "over $1 billion," while Hunt was ranked the 10th-richest with a net worth "in excess of $1 billion."
- In 2019, Anschutz is ranked the 41st-richest American on the list with a net worth of $11.5 billion, while Hunt is in 333rd place with a net worth of $2.6 billion.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The Forbes 400 list has been ranking the richest 400 Americans since 1982.
While people like Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, and Warren Buffett have topped the list in recent years, Forbes confirmed to Business Insider that there are only two people who have been on the list every single year since its inception: Philip Anschutz and William Herbert Hunt.
- Mukesh Ambani is India's richest man for the 12th year in a row. Meet the Ambanis, Asia's wealthiest family, who live in a $1 billion skyscraper and mingle with royals and Bollywood stars.
- Bernard Arnault made $5.1 billion in the past 3 days. French billionaires have made more money this year than their counterparts in any other country, and they partially have China to thank
- Bernard Arnault made $5.1 billion in the past 3 days. These 5 mind-blowing facts show just how quickly the French billionaire's fortune is growing.