I have 26 credit cards — here's how I decide which one to use
Business Insider may receive a commission from The Points Guy Affiliate Network if you apply for a credit card, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
Astrakan Images / Getty Images
- The author, Holly Johnson, has 26 credit cards, but she uses a specific formula to determine which one to use.
- Johnson keeps her eye out for credit card bonus categories on specific types of purchases, particularly when it comes to cards that offer 5% back in categories that rotate each quarter.
- While rewards are great, there are times when it makes sense to use a specific credit card to gain consumer protections or free insurance benefits instead.
My husband and I have 26 different credit cards across our personal profiles and business accounts. I'm painfully aware of how crazy that sounds, but to me, it feels totally normal.
- I have 20 credit cards but I only carry 3 in my wallet. Here's how I choose which ones I can't go without.
- After 6 years with the Chase Sapphire Preferred as my go-to card, I upgraded to the Sapphire Reserve and I've never looked back
- 9 of the best credit cards this June — including a $12 flight to Hawaii and an exclusive AmEx Platinum welcome offer only some people can get