Jeff Bezos' divorce could soon make MacKenzie Bezos one of Amazon's biggest shareholders (AMZN)
Jörg Carstensen/picture alliance via Getty Images
- Amazon could soon have a large new individual shareholder in the form of MacKenzie Bezos as a result of her impending divorce from the company's CEO.
- On Thursday, TMZ reported that the couple did not have a prenup, citing "sources with direct knowledge" of the situation.
- Jeff Bezos owns 16% of the e-commerce giant, and MacKenzie will reportedly be entitled to up to half of those shares, which would giver her, with Jeff, one of the two largest stakes in the company.
- Although the Bezoses are worth $137 billion on paper, nearly all of their assets are in the form of Amazon stock.
- They live in, and will likely file for divorce in, Washington, which is a community-property state, which potentially gives her a claim on a sizeable portion of their wealth.
- Because of the numerous variables in play, it's unclear exactly how much Amazon stock she'll end up with.
Jeff Bezos may soon have someone familiar looking over his shoulder when it comes to running Amazon and having substantial say about it — his soon-to-be ex-wife.
Bezos and his wife, MacKenzie, announced Wednesday they plan to divorce after more than 25 years of marriage. Because nearly all of their $137 billion net worth is in the form of his stock in Amazon, it's highly likely that she will end up with a substantial stake in the company as part of any separation agreement.
- Jeff Bezos is reportedly dating former TV anchor Lauren Sanchez while she's still married to a high-powered Hollywood agent
- The rise of Jeff Bezos, who built Amazon into a $1 trillion company and became the richest person in modern history
- Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos and his wife, MacKenzie, announce they are divorcing