Gov. Pete Ricketts’ political team has pulled the plug on a Tuesday fundraiser that was set to feature GOP vice presidential nominee Mike Pence, according to two Republican sources in Nebraska.
“It has been canceled,” said a Nebraska Republican source familiar with the decision. The source noted that whether a separate Nebraska rally that was added to Pence’s schedule after the fundraiser had been planned is “up to the campaign.”
“[Ricketts] canceled the fundraiser,” the source added.
A second Nebraska GOP source noted that Pence’s Secret Service detail and campaign advance team had already traveled to Nebraska to prepare the event — a fundraiser for the Nebraska Republican Party at the Omaha Press Club set for Tuesday evening.
Contacted Monday morning, state GOP chairman Dan Welch said he’d heard there was a change to the plan but wasn’t sure yet whether it was a cancellation.
Ricketts, son of billionaire TD Ameritrade founder Joe Ricketts, endorsed Trump before the Nebraska primary and well before the rest of the family — but after Trump essentially clinched the nomination with a win in the Indiana primary.
So far, the family’s outside money operation — composed of the Future45 super PAC and the 45Committee nonprofit — has signaled that it will proceed with an eight-figure ad campaign boosting Trump and attacking Clinton.
But GOP finance operatives will be watching the operation closely for any signs of wavering in light of Gov. Ricketts' move.
A representative for the Ricketts family and its political operation did not immediately respond to a request for comment.