The second debate of the 2016 presidential election was like no other in American history. Republican Donald Trump, backed into a corner after the release of tapes containing his lewd comments about women, was fighting to save his candidacy, drag down Democrat Hillary Clinton, and woo undecided voters all at once. How successful he was — well, that's up to you to decide. But to paraphrase Trump himself, it certainly was interesting.
In fact, it still doesn't even quite feel real. Here are the top 11 pinch-me-am-I-dreaming-or-having-a-nightmare moments from the debate.
1. Clinton and Trump didn't shake hands before the debate.
It almost looked like they were going to go for it ... but nope.
— ABC News (@ABC) October 10, 2016
2. Everyone inexplicably became obsessed with audience member Ken Bone.
They particularly liked his red sweater.
Ken Bone for President! pic.twitter.com/EojAYLMR5W
— Big Cat (@BarstoolBigCat) October 10, 2016
Ken Bone just sitting there not even knowing he's currently the most famous person in the world. #debate
— Adam Newman (@Adam_Newman) October 10, 2016
— Rim (@timkennedyjr) October 10, 2016
My takeaways from this absurd election
1 I want a taco truck on every corner.
2 don't take credit for what you've said.
3 Ken. Bone.
— TokenSuperhero (@MarcusTheToken) October 10, 2016
3. Trump had a meltdown over the moderators cutting him off.
Not being the only one who gets to talk is rough.
— Globalnews.ca (@globalnews) October 10, 2016
4. Trump threw his running mate under the bus.
That'll be an awkward phone call.
— CNN (@CNN) October 10, 2016
5. Trump, trying to talk about Russia, just ended up saying "Russia" over and over again.
To be fair, he slipped in a line about how "great" his balance sheet is, too.
Trump: "I don't know Putin. I know nothing about Russia. I know Russia, but I don't know the inner workings." pic.twitter.com/UnvT1IK91Y
— POLITICO (@politico) October 10, 2016
6. Trump accused Clinton of having "tremendous hatred in her heart."
And Clinton's expression in the background was priceless.
— Breaking News (@moses11211) October 10, 2016
7. Clinton couldn't really say anything positive about Trump.
I respect his ... children?
"I respect his children"#debate
— Dr. Chanda (@IBJIYONGI) October 10, 2016
8. Trump said "of course" he doesn't pay federal income taxes.
— Voice of America (@VOANews) October 10, 2016
9. Trump loomed over Clinton's shoulder throughout the debate.
Just ... sit down.
— CNN (@CNN) October 10, 2016
what a normal not creepy way to stand pic.twitter.com/X2id19SqcR
— Ryan Broderick (@broderick) October 10, 2016
Just looks weird. pic.twitter.com/jFscpIRDXQ
— Marc Ambinder (@marcambinder) October 10, 2016
[whispers] the call is coming from inside the house pic.twitter.com/RRPfaZlYNv
— Bradd Jaffy (@BraddJaffy) October 10, 2016
10. The undecided voters reacting to Trump were priceless.
We've all been there.
— Gillian Brockell (@gbrockell) October 10, 2016
when ur no longer an undecided voter pic.twitter.com/QJaNV8QvRX
— Adam Khan (@Khanoisseur) October 10, 2016
11. Trump said if he was in charge, Clinton would be in jail.
You can't make this stuff up.
Donald Trump told Hillary Clinton "you'd be in jail" if he was in charge pic.twitter.com/1hZPNETn1H
— BuzzFeed News (@BuzzFeedNews) October 10, 2016